Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Free Choice! May 15th

Hi Everyone!

I hope a good weekend. Just a few reminders:

Our next meeting will be the 15th of May.

And you have free choice for reading materials. BUT, please post on this blog the book you have chosen, so hopefully we will have a variety of books to talk about in class. If you can´t post on the blog, e-mail Gabriela.

And here are some reading options, if you can´t think of a book to read:
The Great Gatsby (New movie coming out in mid May)
The Little Prince (I´m sure you´ve read it in Spanish, so read it in English!)
Heart of Darkness (A classic, very well written)
To Kill A Mockingbird (About racial issues in the United States, written from the perspective of a child)
1984 (Futuristic distopia)
Farhenheit 451 (Another futuristic distopia, but the best in the genre in my opinion)
Of Mice and Men (About friendship, set during the Great Depression)
Night (Short, very easy-to-read TRUE account of living through the Holocaust)
The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway in Spain)
The Call of the Wild (Jack London in Alaska)
Into the Wild (True, journalistic account of a young man that disappeared in Alaska)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (About high school, written from the perspective of a teenager)

Most of them are on the shorter side. Also, most are available free on the internet, or they are very cheap because they were released a while ago.

You can also try reading a graphic novel (Maus and Persepolis are good choices) or another Shakespeare play!

Good Luck!

P.S. We are trying to plan some sort of dinner for May/June, so think of when you are available and what you would like to do!

6 comments:

  1. Hi!!! As I told you at the meeting, I´ll be reading "To Kill a Mockingbird". I have already ordered it from Amazon so I hope it arrives soon.
    See you at the mmeting and enjoy your reading.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry "meeting"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chosen The Great Gatsby. I have the book :-) And I am going to try to watch the film as well.
    See you soon
    Puri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry because I coudn't be at the last meeting but I will be to the next.
    I've chosen to read "Death at Pemberley" by P.D. James. It's a mixture of two of my favourites at reading: the detective and mistery stories by P.D. James and the characters and scenery of Jane Austen. I've started reading it and I hope I will finish it for the meeting. See you then.
    Francisca Pérez.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title of the book is "Death comes to Pemberley" by P.D. James. See you on 15th May. Francisca Pérez.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading "Snipe Hunt" by Sarah R. Shaber.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete